Rental Terms & Remarks: Please read the following points and try to adhere to our requests as best you can.
1. July, August & September are very hot and humid months and also typhoon season. We can deliver vehicles to Taoyuan Airport and also Kaohsiung at an additional charge. We are based in Taichung and prefer clients to pick up in Taichung. Try to avoid driving in Taipei.
2. PLEASE!! Try to travel light, not only does less luggage reduce your carbon footprint( it takes a lot of jet-fuel to keep your luggage in the air!), it is also a lot easier to travel with less. Taiwan has lots of cheap clothes...and everything else you might need...and what you do not need when going back we will donate to the needy on your behalf.
3. The above prices include tax , car registration fees, regular periodical car maintenance services and third party liability insurance as well as all toll fees. Yes! ALL TOLL FEES ARE INCLUDED IN THE PRICE!
4. Term of rental : minimum rental period is 1 week. Should you want to rent for 10 days for example the weekly rate + pro rata per day extra will apply. Shorter rentals will be charged as 1 week.
5. A compulsory additional car collision, damage and theft insurance is included in the rates. The insurance includes:
- Car damage Insurance with a maximum deductible or liability of the renter is NT$25,000 for damages to the other vehicle. All damage to our own vehicles are to be bourne by the renter.
6. Please bring passport and International Driver's Permit (IDP) or Taiwan driver's license. Please e mail us a pic of your International Driver's Permit (IDP) to confirm that you have the correct documents.
During your first 30 days in Taiwan, you may drive using a valid International Driving Permit (IDP).You have to apply in your home country for an IDP. If you do not have an IDP, you may not drive in Taiwan until you have obtained a permanent Taiwan driver’s license. After your first 30 days in Taiwan, you must apply at the Motor Vehicles Office for an extension of your IDP. If you do not have an IDP or Taiwanese license we cannot help you.
8. The refundable deposit is NT$25 000 for the cars/vans. NT30 000 if you are 21-25.
9. After reserving a car it is important to make payment of the deposit within 3 days to confirm the booking. We will accept a minimum booking confirmation deposit of NT 5000. Once we meet you can pay the balance of the deposit either in cash(NT or USD Or Euro) or by paypal again. The reason is that deposit refunds incur almost no charges with paypal.
10. We deliver to your door or airports in Taiwan for an additional fee, but rather pick up at Taichung High Speed Rail Station and save on delivery costs.In fact if you want to save lots on transport to us, just take the bus to Taichung, Chaoma bus area and we will meet you there. Ubus, King Bus and HoHsin buses depart from the airport and Taipei City and the fee is about NT 250. It takes about 2 hours from Taoyuan airport to Taichung Chaoma.
11. We accept bank transfers( from Taiwan bank accounts), cash , Paypal and credit card payments through Paypal as payment options. How to Pay Us ? Click Here Please Note if you want to pay the balance in cash when we deliver please make sure you prepare the cash beforehand. If you want to pay the rental portion by Paypal, please add 7%.
12. Minimum age for rental is 21 years.
13. Please note: Overtime charge : We do not mind if you return the vehicle 1 hour over the time, just let us know. Our overtime charge will only take effect after 1hour late return.
One rental day is counted as 24 hours. One-hour overtime charge is measured by 10% of daily rent. If you let us know in advance that you will return a bit later we will gladly waive this fee. Returning over 8 hours late will be charged at one-day rent amount.
14. Gasoline/fuel : the fuel tank reading will be recorded at time of rental. Return car with the same reading or settle for the difference.
15. Please read our agreement/contract here below: Delivery and pick up rates apply between hours of 10 AM and 4 PM .
16. Please try to get your SIM card for smart phone at the airport when you arrive or use this link for online ESims, and you will immediately be able to navigate on Google Maps. Remember to ask your provider in home country to unlock your phone so the new SIM card can be installed. It is very cheap - about US$10 for a week with unlimited data and a few minutes call time.
17. Not all foreign bank cards are accepted at the ATM's at the airport so bring some foreign currency i.e. US$ or Euro with you to exchange and pay us and also have some funds then to start your vacation. Cash is preferred everywhere in Taiwan. We prefer that the deposit be paid by paypal. It is much easier to refund this way and a lot cheaper than doing a bank transfer.
18. Please note that the banks and paypal could charge about 5% in fees when we refund, but in most cases refunds through Paypal within 180 days does not normally incur a charge/fee. So the best way to go about this is to pay the deposit by Paypal and the rental in cash when we meet. Please prepare the cash before we meet. Should you want to pay the rental portion by Paypal please add 7%.
19. Please also note that there is a NT 400 admin fee to process traffic fines
20. No early returns are accepted for refunds, you are welcome to return the vehicle at an earlier date, but no refunds will be given.
21. Our prices are adjusted continually throughout the seasons in anticipation of supply and demand. The price you were quoted is the price you pay.
22. We do not allow our vehicles to drive over Hehuan Mountain, the no 14 mountain road. There are many reasons for this , but if you insist on driving that road please add NT 20 000 to the deposit, should you then require assistance we can pay for a tow truck to do so.
E-mail us: firstname.lastname@example.org
23. We prefer our clients not to drive after 7pm until 6AM, this is a time priod where statistically more accidents take place as well as a difficult time to get repairs done to vehicles. Rather get to your destination while it is still light and enjoy the views and environment on foot.
The longer you rent, the cheaper the price. Delivery and pick up from Taichung High Speed Rail Station is free. Vehicle delivery to other cities, airports, bus & train stations will be calculated. Car hire rental in Taiwan just got a lot easier. Toll fees are included in the rental price. CheapCarTaiwan.com will assist you every step of the way.
Traffic drives on the right and passes on the left side of the road. Roads in Taiwan's major cities are generally congested and scooters and motorcycles weaving in and out of traffic make driving conditions hazardous.
ROADS AND MOTORWAYS: Exercise caution when driving on mountain roads which are typically narrow, winding, without side walks and often impassable after heavy rains.
Nevertheless, the numbered highway system is very good in Taiwan. Most traffic signs are in international symbols, although many signs show names of places and streets in Chinese only.
Highways in Taiwan are classified into four types:
1. National highways: 1 - 10
2. Provincial highways: 1 - 28, 61 - 88
3. County routes: 101 - 205
4. Township routes
As a general rule, odd numbers represent north-south highways and even numbers represent east-west and numbers increase moving west to east and north to south. Major north-south provincial highways are indicated by a one-digit number and its cross streets carry the same number letters in alphabetical order.
SPEED LIMITS: Unless otherwise indicated, speed limits are:
- 15 km/h when approaching a railroad crossing
- 40 km/h on roads without lanes or slow lanes separated by single solid white lines
- 50 km/h on other roads and lanes
-Freeways - 100 km/h - limited segments - 90, 80, or 70 km/h
-National Highway No. 3 - 110 km/h, the highest speed limit in Taiwan.
-Truck with a gross weight of 20 tons or more - 90 km/h
-Approaches to work areas - 60 km/h.
Parking receipts are put on vehicles by parking officers - these are NOT fines! They are just parking fee receipts and can be paid at any 7/11. Please pay them asap.
Toll fees are included in the rental. You do not pay anything for tolls, it is included in the rental price.
1-International Driver Permit (IDP- issued in your home country) NOT!! International driver's license( the one you can buy online- it is not valid).
2-Taiwan Driver License
DOCUMENTATION Please click this link for more info
Valid International Driver Permit(IDP) and passport .
INSURANCE: Third party liability insurance is mandatory.
SEAT BELTS: Drivers and passengers in the front AND rear of the vehicle must fasten seatbelts.
MOTORCYCLES: You may ride a 50cc scooter If you hold a Taiwanese automobile driver's license or an International Driving Permit. A motorcycle license is necessary for larger equipment up to 150cc. A crash helmet is mandatory when riding a motorbike.
USEFUL TELEPHONE NUMBERS: 24 hour service in Chinese , English and Japanese: 0800-024-111
Car Rental Agreement
1. THE PARTIES TO THIS AGREEMENT ARE:
1.1 THE OWNER:
1.2 THE RENTER:
Surname/ last name:
Identity / Social Security or Other (Specify) number:
Physical Address in home country:
The parties choose the above stated addresses as their physical addresses at which legal proceedings may be instituted.
2. THE OBJECT OF THE RENTAL IS: Vacation and/or commuting to work
2.1 Type of Vehicle
2.2 Make and Color
2.5 Registration Number____________2.6 Passenger Capacity_____
3. CONDITION OF VEHICLE:
3.1 The Owner states that to the best of his knowledge and belief that above-described vehicle is in sound and safe condition and free of any known defects or faults which would affect its safe operation under normal use.
4.1 The Renter states that he / she is physically and legally qualified to operate the above-described vehicle.
4.2 The renter states that he/she has a valid International Driver's Permit or Taiwanese Driver's license.
5. RENTAL PERIOD:
The Owner agrees to rent the above-described vehicle to the Renter for the following period:
5.1 Starting Date: ____________ Time: ___________(a.m. / p.m.)
5.2 Ending Date: ____________Time:__________(a.m. / p.m.)
6. RENTAL RATE:
6.1 The Renter hereby agrees to pay the owner at the rate of ____________ per day or portion thereof or the total amount of ___________
6.2 All fuel used shall be paid for by the Renter.
7.1 The rented vehicle shall not be used to carry passengers or property for hire.
7.2 The rented vehicle shall not be used to carry passengers in excess of the capacity stipulated in 2.6 above.
7.3 The rented vehicle shall not be used to carry passengers, goods or materials in excess of the rated weight carrying capacity of the vehicle as stipulated in 2.6
7.4 The rented vehicle shall not be used to carry passengers other than in the interior or cab of the vehicle.
7.5 The rented vehicle shall not be used to push, propel or tow another vehicle, trailer or any other thing or to be fitted with roof racks without the permission of the Owner.
7.6 The rented vehicle shall not be used for any race or in any competition.
7.7 The rented vehicle shall not be used for any illegal purpose.
7.8 The Renter shall not operate the vehicle in a negligent manner.
7.9 The rented vehicle shall not be operated by any other person other than the Renter stipulated in 1.2 above without the permission of the Owner.
8.1 The Renter hereby agrees that he / she shall be held fully responsible for any and all loss of or damage to the rented vehicle or other vehicles damaged during the term of this Car Rental Agreement whether caused by collision, fire, flood, vandalism, theft or any other cause.
8.2 Additional car collision, damage and theft insurance is included. The insurance includes:
Car damage Insurance to the other vehicle with a maximum deductible or liability of the renter is NT$25,000 excluding the deposit. This means that if you have an accident you are liable for the first NT25 000 to effect repairs to the other vehicle.
The renter is liable for all the damages to our own vehicles to the maximum amount of NT 120 000.
9.1 The Renter agrees to make a deposit of NT25 000 with the Owner, said deposit to be used, in the event of loss of or damage to the vehicle or equipment during the term of this Car Rental Agreement, to defray fully or partially the cost of necessary repairs or replacement.
9.2 In the absence of damage or loss, the deposit shall be refunded to the renter except for NT5000 which will be refunded after 1 month in case you have received any traffic fines. Please also note that there is a NT 400 admin fee to process traffic fines.
10. RETURN OF VEHICLE:
10.1 The Renter hereby agrees to return the above-described vehicle to the Owner at the agreed address at the agreed time.
10.2 This contract also serves as receipt for the monies paid to the OWNER.
10.3 The vehicle shall be returned with the fuel level same as upon delivery.
11.1 The parties consent to the jurisdiction of the magistrate's
(other ______________) court for the district of ______________________
Signed at ____________________on this ______day of _____20____
Here are a few nice self-drive Tour Ideas for Taiwan:
9 Day Trip Taiwan
Day 1:Drive down scenic East Coast to Taroko Gorge; visit sites at Gorge; Marble shops. Check in at hotel in Hualien .Dumpling dinnner. Night Market and Jade market walking tour with aboriginal dance show.
Day 2 :Drive to Taitung , visit Tropic Of Cancer, 3000 year old Monoliths, San Sian Tai Leapfrog Bridge and Gao Tai tea farms - tea ceremony! Check in at Hotel. Maybe night market visit Taitung City or visit Green Island : https://greenislandadventures.com
Day 3:Drive further down scenic East Coast through aboriginal villages to Kenting National Park. Check in at Hotel on Big Bay 1 minute walk to the night market pubs and restaurants. Free time - beach in front of hotel and lots of restaurants nearby.
Day 4:Tour Kenting National Park Southern Tip of Taiwan and lighthouse, drive to Kaohsiung County Hakka Meinong Parasol Village, then to Tainan . Check in at Hotel.
Day 5:Tour Tainan old town Anping ( Old Dutch Forts , Kiln and Tait Trade House, Chihkan Tower and Taoist Temples;and Confucius Temple. Visit embriodery shops and old streets. Spend night in same hotel Tainan.Free time to explore the famous snacks of Tainan.
Day6:Drive to Sun Moon Lake; Check in at B&B or campsite next to the cable car station. Lake cruise. Here is a link to camping gear & travel essentials.
Day 7:Tour Sun Moon Lake area. Wen Wu Temple, Chung Tai Monastery , Puli Brewery/Distillery,
Day 8:Drive to Lukang vist Old Market Street 2 of the oldest temples in Taiwan as well as lantern shops where artists handpaint lanterns. Drive to Taichung.Check in at hotel near Xitun. Famous Feng Jia Night Market Free time.
Day 9:Visit SanYi Hakka Woodcarving Village in Miaoli County. Then drive to Taichung, Chaoma to return the vehicle.
5 Day Trip Taiwan
Depart from Taipei/Taichung; drive through Snow Mountain Tunnel to Ilan then along scenic SUHua Highway; QingShui Cliffs into Taroko Gorge. Stop at as scenic spots for photo opportunities on the way . Lunch in the Gorge. Check in at Hotel in Hualien- famous dumpling dinner and then visit Jade and marble market and aboriginal dance show..
Day 2 :
Drive through the East Rift valley, stop at organic coffee/tea stop at Tropic of Cancer monument and then over the coastal mountains to the scenic coastline and stop at San Sian Tai bridge;then visit Siao Ye liao beautiful rock formations on coast. Check in Taitung Hotel and then visit Night market.
Drive along scenic coast then over nr 9 mountain pass through Aboriginal area in the South along scenic route to Kenting.Visit famous aquarium outside Kenting on the way. This aquarium is world class and affords a rare opportunity to sea whale sharks in one of the largest tanks in the world. The whole aquarium is based on an old shipwreck theme with glass tunnels leading you through the massive displays.Check in at hotel Kenting or camping site near the lighthouse.
Visit Southern most point and light house outside Kenting then drive to Meinong ( paper parasols) and then Sun Moon Lake , visit Wen Wu Temple on the way and check in at hotel on the lake.Lake cruise. Free time - snacking & shopping in the little aboriginal artist village.
Drive to Puli ,visit the majestic Chung Tai Monastery. Puli Brewery/distillery . Then drive to TaichungHigh Speed Train stn where you can catch the HSR Train (Bullet train) to Taipei /airport etc.